This page summarizes the new indicators and key changes as well as the implementation schedule for the monitoring of open science and research in 2024. In addition, the page contains links to the indicators in workbook format and to a presentation describing the topic in more detail at the Open Science and Research (AVOTT) summer days 2023 (in Finnish only).
- New indicators have been added from recent policies and recommendations: Policy for open scholarship, recommendations for citizen science and RDI activities in collaboration between research organisations and companies, policy components for open access to research methods and infrastructures and open educational practices.
- The monitoring model is implemented by the addition of the new indicators of cooperation in all areas as well as the quantitative indicators of research materials.
Key changes to the 2022 indicators
- The option of completion within the next 12 months has been removed from the established indicators of policy documents. An indicator implemented in the 2022 monitoring by more than 70% of all responding research organizations is considered established.
- The indicator of policy documents in responsible evaluation has been changed to better comply with the activities of different types of research organizations.
- The quantitative indicators of the publications have been refined so that each publication will be taken into account in only one quantitative indicator in the future.
- Good practice questions have been removed.
Learn more of the indicators of the 2024 AVOTT monitoring:
Implementation in 2024
At the beginning of 2024, the AVOTT secretariat will review the usability of the new quantitative indicators. In addition, a workshop on the formulation of monitoring questions will be organized for each expert panel, where the results of the indicators' usability test will also be reviewed.
The finalized questions of the monitoring will be published in the spring of 2024 after the workshops.
In connection with the monitoring, information on the total costs of open access and publication to Finnish research institutions will be collected in the same way as in 2022. The questions of the total cost survey will be linked to this page later.
Monitoring in 2024 will be carried out according to the schedule presented in the monitoring model: