The future of European Open Science Cloud is taking shape this year.
EOSC aims to become Europe’s trusted virtual environment for 1.7 million European researchers and 70 million professionals in science, technology, the humanities and social sciences to store, manage, analyze and re-use data for research, innovation and educational purposes, as well as to support EU science in its global leading role. As its vision says: “to give Europe a global lead in scientific data infrastructures and to ensure that European scientists reap the full benefits of data-driven science.”
When EOSC Nordic project asked Nordic organisations if they would benefit from the implementation of EOSC, vast majority said yes. Even more organisations said it would be beneficial for them to contribute to the development of EOSC. Stakeholder engagement is key to the success of EOSC.
EOSC currently invites stakeholders to engage in two public consultations:
- 1The Landscaping Task Force invites the stakeholders to validate Working Proposal for Living Indicators to Monitor MS Progresses towards EOSC Readiness. The report has been prepared by the INFRAEOSC-05-2018-2019 Landscaping Task Force consisting of representatives of regional projects. Contributions are invited via a web form by 4th September 2020 COB.
- EOSC Executive Board has launched the Open Consultation on the EOSC Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda. The SRIA provides general guidelines to help develop the work programmes for EOSC in Horizon Europe. The public consultation is available until August 31st 2020.
In addition to these open consultations, the new EOSC governance structure is being developed to take effect in 2021.
The proposed EOSC governance structure post 2020 includes the following elements:
- Partnership Board (outside the EOSC Association)
- European Commission and the EOSC Association will establish a Partnership Board
- Steering Board (outside the EOSC Association)
- Representatives from EU Member States and Associated Countries
- Appoints representatives to Partnership Board
- The EOSC Association will have internal committees:
- General Assembly (all partnership members)
- Board (members elected by General Assembly, including a president)
- Secretary General with Secretariat
EOSC Association was formed in July 2020. The Association is an international non-profit association under Belgium law. The Association will welcome members from research performing and funding organisations as well as service providers. Member categories include full member and observer.
The core tasks of the EOSC Association will be financed through membership fees. The first estimate budget is 2 million €/year and this will be financed through membership fees. The initial EU investment estimate required to connect existing infrastructures is € 75 million between 2021 – 2027.
Photo: Unsplash, Pero Kalimero.